Friday 25 September 2009

OpenSUSE LiveCD on my Toshiba A215

Good news! I just ran OpenSUSE LiveCD on my laptop last night. Everything worked out-of-the-box, as they say. Sound, wireless card - all the usual suspects. Awesome. I wasted some time trying to remember how to mount the NTFS partition to read the WEP key for my wifi connection but did not manage to.
I've got some tips from the internet so it's something to play with tonight...

The idea is to have specialized virtual machines for specific tasks, like software development. Yesterday I found that most games run well under Wine on Linux. Definitely something to look into. I wonder about the performance of those. Most other software I use also reportedly runs well with Wine under Linux. Well, if these are true, I might install Linux on my laptop. Most of the regular stuff I'm using has a Linux version anyway (Firefox, Pidgin, Dropbox...).

No comments:

Post a Comment